History & Architecture
South Door - The arch is 14th Century and the heavy oak door, which has been restored, is of the same period.
Oak Chest - The chest is 17th Century.
Jacobean Table - Made from the sounding board of the old pulpit, long since lost.
Mediaeval Glass - No ancient glass remains in the church apart from that placed in the window in the north aisle in 1932. This represents St Christopher and St. Barbara.
Pillars - The pillars of the arches beneath the tower were buttressed to take the extra weight of the tower, which was raised 30 feet in 1791.
This proved to be unsatisfactory, however, and the tower was lowered to its original height in 1860.
Organ - A two-manual instrument originally built by Messrs Sweetland of Bath in 1870.
OUTSIDE THE CHURCH
Scratch Dial - On die south wall can be seen a scratch dial, or mass clock, with a central hole in which was inserted the gnomon or metal pin.
Priests' Doorway - A 14th Century doorway in the south wall, now blocked up internally, may have been used as the priests' entrance to the parochial part of the church when the chancel was shut off. Above the door is a niche, which most likely contained a statue of St Laurence.
The statue and cross from the shaft nearby, together with the church's stained glass, were probably destroyed during the Reformation.
Churchyard Cross - The shaft of the 13th Century churchyard cross stands on the south side ot the church. Traces of carved heads can be seen at the base.
The Tower -Mainly 14th Century. The battlements and pinnacles were made for the tower when it was raised in 1791, and retained when it was lowered again in 1860.
The Lych Gate - Erected in 1892 in memory of Canon Payne, who was Vicar of Downton for 42 years.
Hagioscope (14th Century) - Commonly known as a Priest's Squint, this is used by Celebrants at the side altar in order to see the high altar and so enable the services to be synchronized. Hooks for a shutter can be seen inside the opening.
Duncombe Memorial - This is a good example of an 18th Century marble monument. Sir Charles Duncombe lived at Barford House, which was later destroyed by fire. He was a goldsmith banker of the City of London. He died on the 9th of April, 1711, during his term of office as Lord Mayor of London and his remains lie in a vault beneath the Lady Chapel.
Fire Engine - The old parish fire engine, date 1768, is now in the Salisbury Museum. This engine was kept in the transept and was admitted by a door in the south end. This door is now walled up.
Windows — The tracery of the central windows on each side, together with the corbels and shafts, are original 14th Century. Although the whole of the tracery in the east window is modern, the arch is original.
Sedilia - This is originally 14th Century, with the exception of the projecting part of the canopy, which has been restored.
Aumbry - An aumbry remains in the wall beyond the sedilia.
Reredos — This is modern. It was given in memory of Canon Richard Payne, Vicar of Downton, 1841-1883, by his family. The subjects of the five central panels are: The supper at Emmaus, Adoring Angels, St Michael and St Gabriel. The two lower panels represent St Peter and St Laurence.
Door — The remains of a door can be seen on the outside of the north wall of the Sanctuary. It is thought to have once led to a Sacristy.
Monuments - The 18th Century wall monuments, two of which are by Scheerrnakers, were erected in memory of Lord Faversham, Baron of Downton, who died 18th June, 1763; two of his wives, Margaret Lady Faversham, who died 9th October, 1755, and Frances Lady Faversham, who died 21st November, 1757; and his son George Duncombe, who died 7th March, 1741, aged 21 years.
The Bells - Tile tower contains eight bells, the oldest of which is dated 1605. The clock bell on the roof of the tower was cast locally at Redlynch, by John Shelly in 1823. A Sanctus bell was installed in 1996.